FY13 July 1, 2012—June 30, 2013: Highlights
- Charting Maine’s Future: Making Headway – Release of the 2012 update to the original 2006 Charting Maine’s Future, defining what progress has been made, what worked and what didn’t and why, and next steps.
- Summit 2012 – Statewide Summit in October of 2012, in which 400 attendees discussed the challenges and advances made in Maine with Making Headway forming the core of the program. Bruce Katz of the Brookings Institution and Evan Richert were keynotes.
- Annual Meeting at Brunswick Station—Annual Meetings have continued to build in significance with relevant programs and tours of smart growth successes. This December 2012 event was held at the Inn at Brunswick Station, with tours of the new Amtrak facility and Patricia Quinn, Executive Director of NNEPRA as our keynote speaker.
- Commercial Strip—Phase 1 of IMPLEMENTING THE VISION: FIRST STEPS is complete, with a White Paper defining the challenges and outlining potential solutions for various types of commercial highway strips. Specific examples from Maine towns were studied.
- Project Canopy—Community grants of more than $100,000 awarded to 21 projects in 19 Maine communities to support local forestry efforts. 50 trees planted along Bayside Trail with TD Bank .
- Making Headway in Your Community, with a western Maine focus—A new project, bringing the action plan of Charting Maine’s Future to a local level. An online resource guide will be created, connecting Mainers with the expertise, tools and success stories to help them succeed in their own communities. The first step is a drill down of local and regional resources available in western Maine.
- Advocacy—Testimony on 18 specific bills, the biennial budget and general bond issues. Policy areas included Complete Streets, funding for Maine Downtown Center, changes in site law exemptions, removing barriers to creation of livable affordable neighborhoods and defending community planning against “anti UN Agenda 21” concerns.
The Betterment Fund
The Emanuel and Pauline Lerner Foundation
Helen and Walter Norton
Mr. and Mrs. T. Ricardo Quesada
The Elmina B. Sewall Foundation
Anna Marie and John Thron
The Nature Conservancy
The Philanthropy Collaborative
Bath Savings Bank
Richard Berman and Family
The Miley Foundation
Northern New England Housing Investment Fund
Proctor and Gamble
Mr. and Mrs. Doris Stockly