Join us for informative and engaging discussions on topics that matter to communities.
2018 Forums & Events
Rethinking Commercial Strip Development to Strengthen Your Community
4-7p Thursday November 15th, Topsham Public Library
Towns and small cities in Maine face numerous challenges in redeveloping their commercial corridors in an attractive, thoughtful, inclusive, and economically beneficial way. This forum will explore lessons from experiences in various communities relevant to participants, sharing different perspectives (board, developer, planner), and emphasizing how to maximize the potential for success. Join us to learn how towns can improve the appearance and functionality of their commercial strips to bring in new residents, employees and activity.
Sign up for our mailing list to be notified about upcoming events & opportunities!
GrowSmart Maine’s Forums and Tours provide an opportunity for exploration of projects, policies, and developments that highlight examples of smart growth in Maine. Attendees are treated to an in-depth discussion and presentations of practical tools and information in a comfortable, casual setting. Our Forums begin with light fare and networking, followed by a presentation of expert panelists showcasing varying perspectives, and conclude with a discussion.
Click on the links below for resources, photos, presentations and more from past events. For more information on our Annual Summits, click here.
- Housing Choices for a Well-Rounded Community | Kennebunk
- Getting from Us & Them to We: A Conversation about Midcoast Maine | Belfast
- Rising Water: Adapting Maine Communities | Augusta
- Forum on Commercial Corridor Redevelopment | Falmouth
- Getting from Us & Them to We: A conversation about Midcoast Maine | Rockland
- Growing Farm Friendly Communities | Bowdoinham
- Growing Farm Friendly Communities | Windham
- The Case for Walkability: Health, Economic Development, and Sustainability | Bangor
- Developers’ Secrets to Small Projects: Tricks of the Trade to rehab Main St | Lewiston
- Reimagining our Rivers: Restoration & Dam Removal in Maine | Falmouth
- Maine’s New Forest Economy: Biobased Power, Products, and Fuels | Hallowell
- Sea Level Rise: Practical Tools & Community Implementation | Rockland
- The Mill at Dover-Foxcroft Summer Tour and Cookout | Dover-Foxcroft
- Public-Private Partnership: Passive House Workforce Housing | Brewer
- A Panorama on Portland’s Growth: Can Public Process Bridge the Gap? | Portland
- The Benefits of Street Trees
- 21st Century Transportation: Shared Vehicles, E-Bikes and their Implications for a Smart Growth Economy in Maine
- A Changing Climate: How Municipal Government Can Be Part of the Solution
- A Look Into Maine’s Renewable Energy
- Making Connections, Building Community
- Arts, Culture, and Economic Prosperity in Maine
- The Portland Company Forum
- Summit 2014 – The Dollars and $ense of Smart Growth!
- Thompson’s Point
- Brownfields: Albatross to Economic Driver
- Aging in Place: 8 to 80
- Using the Historic Preservation Tax Credit for Small Projects