A network of communities, individuals, businesses and organizations with a proven interest in promoting and supporting economically and culturally vital downtowns as places with businesses and jobs, community and cultural events resulting from long range vision and design, and strategic public and private investments.
Maine Alliance for Smart Growth is a program of GrowSmart Maine that:
- Connects Mainers with each other, resources and expertise
- Coordinates community engagement for greatest value to communities while maximizing collaboration and minimizing redundancy
- Advocates on significant policy issues important to downtowns across the state.
The Maine Alliance for Smart Growth (MASG) is guided by a steering committee comprising town and city representatives, business, non-profits, and agencies which collectively provide expertise in policy areas such as urban planning, transportation and broadband, historic preservation and real estate, strategic business development, collaborative community engagement, strategic investments in public infrastructure, combating sprawl while conserving natural areas, and impacts of a changing climate.
The Alliance is open to all Mainers and does not end at Maine’s coastline but extends into the Gulf of Maine to inhabited islands. MASG recognizes the interdependence of downtowns with the natural areas surrounding them; working farms and forests, open space and waterfront.
Maine is a place rich with local leaders and innovators full of community spirit. The Alliance makes it possible for these people to connect with each other, policy area expertise and capacity building resources. Want to be a part of this? We invite individuals, communities, businesses and non-profits to be a part of this network supporting Maine downtowns and the rural areas surrounding them.
Maine Alliance for Smart Growth Steering Committee:
- GrowSmart Maine, Nancy Smith
- Maine Downtown Center, Anne Ball
- Maine Preservation, Greg Paxton
- Greater Portland Landmarks, Sarah Hansen
- CEI, John Egan
- Island Institute, Nick Battista
- City of Lewiston, Linc Jeffers
- The Nature Conservancy in Maine, Robert Wood
- City of Eastport, Elaine Abbott
- Wright-Pierce, Jon Edgerton
- Kennebec Valley Council of Governments, Cary Tyson
- Northern Forest Center, Mike Wilson
- Bicycle Coalition of Maine, John Williams
- AARP Maine, Lori Parham
- Piscataquis County Economic Development Council, Chris Winstead
Explore the online searchable inventory of resources and community projects at www.makingheadway.me. As with the Alliance, this online resource connects community members with their peers and local, regional, and statewide resources. Post a project to share with other communities and post your organization as a resource available to assist Mainers in your area.