Following up on GrowSmart Maine’s 2020 Summit
Flexing the Power of Home Rule: A Path Toward Regional Solutions
We are excited to build on the important discussions had during this year’s Summit and the Post-Summit forum. How can we all affect local change, especially given the implications of current health and economic crisis?
Summit Available On-line
Were you able to attend the Summit?
If you were, but wanted to revisit, or if you weren’t, and wanted to watch the Summit you are in luck!
Recording of the 2020 Summit is available to watch online on our Youtube Channel or our website.
We are finalizing summary notes from our Summit breakout sessions and Post-Summit forum, in which three critical policy areas were identified as prime for regional solutions that build on the power of home rule:
- Activating portions of Maine’s Climate Action Plan to make more renewable energy available without sacrificing Maine’s quality places.
- Increasing choices in housing size and shape as well as ownership models to create and support well-rounded communities as a pillar of economic development and community revitalization
- Coordinating and streamlining land use regulation and enforcement to encourage growth in fiscally sound strategies where it fits local character.
Smart Growth Awards
Congratulations to the winners of the 2020 Smart Growth Awards!
- Port Property Management and Consulting Partners 82 Hanover Redevelopment, Portland
- Moosehead Lake Region Economic Development Corporation
- Great Falls Construction, Station Square, Gorham
- Bangor Savings Bank Operations Center, CWS Architects
- Raise-Op Housing Cooperative
- Mark Eyerman, Planner
Catch the Buzz
Have you seen what they are saying? The Summit generated a lot of press!
MaineBiz – Statewide Participation
MaineBiz – Adjust Fierce Local Focus
Sun Journal – Raise-Op Housing wins Smart Growth Award
Piscataquis Observer – Moosehead Lake REDC wins Smart Growth Award
Continuing our efforts, how you can help…
If you want to protect the things that are special about Maine, while encouraging sustainable prosperity now and in the future, please join us!
With your help, we can make these values an integral part of Maine’s legislation and state and local policy.
We know there are a lot of calls for financial assistance during this time of year, especially this year. What are some easy ways you support GrowSmart Maine and promote smart growth in Maine?
- Follow us on social media. We are on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Follow us, like, and share our posts! Join us for future events, talks, and webinars.
- Become a GrowSmart Member – Our supporters know the satisfaction of being part of a movement of Mainers who want to protect the things that are special about Maine, while growing sustainable prosperity for all parts of the state. With your help, we are working on the ground in communities around the state to build a network of engaged individuals, organizations and businesses that are shaping Maine’s future.Our annual memberships give you discounts to all of our events and supports our efforts in your neighborhood and beyond.
Give Smart to GrowSmart – make a recurring monthly donation of your choice to GrowSmart Maine
Small Business Saturday, November 28th – live out the SmartGrowth principle of creating and securing a strong sense of place, by shopping at locally owned businesses on Small Business Saturday, the Saturday following Thanksgiving, and all this holiday season.
Cyber Monday, Monday, November 30th – eyeing out some amazing deals for your online holiday shopping? Shop at smile.amazon.com. By making your regular purchases here, any time of year, AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of your eligible purchases to GrowSmart Maine. Elect GrowSmart Maine as your designated charity here
Giving Tuesday, December 1st – celebrate the season of giving by participating in the international day of charitable support at the beginning of the Christmas and holiday season. Make a one time donation to GrowSmart Maine.
- Buy a reusable bag at Hannaford – With every purchase of a $2.50 reusable Community Bag and/or Fight Hunger Bag, $1 is donated to a local non-profit. When a you purchase either bag that features the Giving Tag, you have the opportunity to direct the $1 donation to a local non-profit that is important to you. Submit your giving tag and choose GrowSmart Maine to receive your donation.
Every effort counts, and we thank you for your support of our work in giving communities choices in how they respond to growth and change.
Once again, we would like to thank the sponsors of our 2020 Summit: