GrowSmart Maine regularly testifies in Augusta on relevant smart growth legislation. This is one of the most important ways that we represent our members’ interests.
As we weigh in on key issues, we will post our progress and views here. We encourage our members to engage in the process as well.
2023 Maine Legislative Session Summary:
Policy Action 2023
Policy Action 2023 is a collaboration between BuildMaine and GrowSmart Maine, with nearly 100 people from across Maine and beyond, working to create cohesive policy and funding to address land development, redevelopment, and placemaking through a transparent, open process supporting legislation that addresses barriers and creates incentives to grow Maine’s communities and natural resources, each in the right places, with a look and feel suiting urban, suburban and rural places.
Eight Policy Areas in Policy Action 2023:
- Growth happens in the right places with the coordination of government at all levels
- Offer multi-modal choices across Maine by reworking transportation funding.
- It’s safe and easy to use alternative transportation with Complete Streets
- A more flexible planning framework would accommodate changes in best practices.
- Historic buildings bring value across Maine with a stronger historic tax credit.
- Development is encouraged in the right places with revised subdivision rules.
- Downtowns AND rural areas are strengthened with enhanced fiscal policies
- State climate goals are advanced by encouraging carbon-neutral buildings.
Public Policy Resources for Your Community
New Model Solar Ordinance for Maine municipalities created by one of our partners, Maine Audubon
Maine Farmland Trust is a member-powered statewide organization that protects farmland, supports farmers, and advances the future of farming.
American Farmland Trust: Without farmland and ranchland, we can’t win the global fight against climate change. Our food, our water, our environment, our survival—it all depends on American agricultural land.
LOCAL and REGIONAL ADVOCACY
There are local and regional issues that rise to statewide significance when considering their alignment with smart growth.
For these issues, GrowSmart Maine may take a position or create a resource when we believe our engagement will prove useful for those directly engaged and others who may be dealing with similar challenges. Click the links below to download a PDF:
- IMPLEMENTING THE VISION: FIRST STEPS Practical Steps to Transform Commercial Strips Into Mixed-Use Centers
- The World of a Developer: Moving an Idea to Reality
- Portland, Maine: A Citizen’s Guide to Commercial Development. How Can I Be Involved?
- Developers: Neighborhood Meetings That Build Support for Your Project
GrowSmart Maine engages in public policy on the federal level primarily through key partnerships:
Smart Growth America advocates with Congress and the administration for a transportation system that safely, affordably and conveniently connects people of all means and ability to jobs, services, and opportunity through multiple modes of travel and development that is sustainable, equitable, and walkable.