What Is Smart Growth?
- We work to revitalize historic neighborhoods and vibrant communities suited for residents of all ages, to foster entrepreneurs and creative thinkers, and to provide a safe and inclusive place to raise children.
- We advocate for policies and projects that advance Maine’s business and economic growth and development in balance with the conservation and enrichment of our greatest assets; the beautiful and productive built and natural environments that are the bedrock of our cultural and economic heritage.
- We support the continuation of traditional livelihoods like fishing, farming and forestry; keeping Maine families working their heritage and making it possible for their children to do the same.
- We provide leadership by convening a broad range of voices in meaningful conversations on how to arrive at common-sense solutions as united Mainers.
Our goal is to ensure that future generations can prosper and choose to call Maine home.
10 PrinciplesOf Smart Growth
GrowSmart Maine helps communities incorporate smart growth principles into community planning.
THE 10 PRINCIPLES OF SMART GROWTH ARE:
- Mix land uses;
- Take advantage of compact building design;
- Create a range of housing opportunities and choices;
- Create walkable neighborhoods;
- Foster distinctive, attractive communities with a strong sense of place;
- Preserve open space, farmland, natural beauty, and critical environmental areas;
- Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities;
- Provide a variety of transportation choices;
- Make development decisions predictable, fair, and cost-effective;
- Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration in development decisions.