AUGUSTA, Maine – The LURC Reform Commission, established by the Maine Legislature to recommend possible reforms to the Land Use Regulation Commission (LURC), will hold its next work session later this week and will include two public listening sessions.
The meeting’s agenda also includes a discussion with former LURC Chair Elizabeth Swain; recommendations from current LURC staff and Chair Gwen Hilton; and recommendations from Jen Gray, Maine Audubon.
The 13-member commission, appointed jointly by Gov. Paul LePage, Senate President Kevin Raye and House Speaker Robert Nutting, so far has successfully prepared a joint statement of areas of agreement; discussed future meetings and from whom they would like to hear; and individually expressed their observations on core LURC issues.
The LURC Reform Commission represents diverse constituencies and geographic regions. It is chaired by Bill Beardsley, Maine Department of Conservation commissioner, with Sarah Medina of Dixmont as vice-chair.
The next meeting will be:
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 6, Town Offices, Solon; Public Listening Sessions, 2:30-4 p.m. and 5:30-7 p.m. Click here for our proposal presented at this meeting.
These sessions are work sessions for the committee members. The public is welcome to attend. Public comment will be taken, however, only at designated listening sessions or by correspondence.
Future meetings still are being scheduled, but to date include:
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 20, Maine Department of Conservation Field Office, Ashland; Public Listening Sessions, 2:30-4 p.m. and 5:30-7 p.m.;
- 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 3, Washington County Community College, Calais; Public Listening Session, 2:30-4 p.m.;
- 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 17, venue to be announced, Greenville;
- 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 1, venue and location to be announced.
The next meeting’s agenda can be found at: http://maine.gov/doc/
Please address all correspondence to:
LURC Reform Commission
c/o Maine Department of Conservation
22 State House Station
18 Elkins Lane
Augusta, ME 04333