How is GrowSmart Maine connected?
Growth is “smart” when it results in strong communities with more choices in where to live, work and play for all community members, provides a good return on public investments and supports a thriving natural environment. All this creates a legacy we can proudly pass on to our children and grandchildren.
GrowSmart Maine is a statewide non-profit working to create vibrant communities with a robust economy and a healthy environment for generations to come through advocacy, education, projects and strategic partnerships.
Ten Principles of Smart Growth
1. Foster distinctive, attractive communities with a strong sense of place
2. Preserve open space, farmland, natural beauty, and critical environmental areas
3. Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities
4. Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration in development decisions
5. Make development decisions predictable, fair, and cost effective
6. Create a range of housing opportunities and choices
7. Create walkable neighborhoods
8. Take advantage of compact building design
9. Mix land uses to connect communities
10. Provide a variety of transportation choices