GrowSmart Maine’s work focuses on the links between community revitalization, economic development, and conservation of natural resources. The organization aims to:
- Raise awareness and support of smart growth principles and connect Mainers with the resources, methods, and tools to manage growth and change in their communities.
- Provide leadership by facilitating meaningful and informed conversations among diverse voices to arrive at shared common-sense solutions.
- Advocate for policies, projects, and programs that support healthy communities and a prosperous economy while conserving and enriching Maine’s beautiful and productive natural spaces.
The Maine vision
GrowSmart Maine believes the future of Maine is based on rural, suburban, and urban communities achieving the following:
1. COMMUNITIES WITH A “SENSE OF PLACE”
- Communities that are livable, stable and inspire pride
- Adoption of smart growth principles in development and conservation patterns
- Communities value long-term self-sufficiency
2. ECONOMIC WELL-BEING AND EQUITY
- Residents find the opportunity to live and work in Maine
- New people arrive to live and work in Maine
- Stable, responsible, adaptable industries
- Local economies capable of supporting their communities
3. RIGHT-SIZED AND WELL-MAINTAINED INFRASTRUCTURE
- Strategic broadband internet access
- Reliable utilities including renewable energy sources
- Local food and water sources are valued and accessible
- Transportation options to meet the needs of all ages and income levels
4. PROTECTED NATURAL ENVIRONMENT + CLIMATE
- Policies and development strategies address climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Natural resources are a recognized and valued asset
- Natural resources are accessible and well managed
- Communities and citizens practice natural resource stewardship
5. INCLUSIVE AND EFFECTIVE CIVIL ENGAGEMENT
- Collaboration among various sectors / organizations / municipal governments
- Citizen awareness, understanding, and support of smart growth principles
- Informed and competent leaders in government
Encourage diversity of voices
More About Smart Growth
Smart growth principles promote long-term, sustainable solutions to everyday challenges.
- We work to revitalize historic neighborhoods and vibrant communities suited for residents of all ages, to foster entrepreneurs and creative thinkers, and to provide a safe and inclusive place to raise children.
- We advocate for a balance of business regulations in tandem with environmental regulations, allowing Maine’s economy to grow and prosper while conserving and enriching our beautiful and productive natural spaces.
- We support the continuation of traditional livelihoods like fishing, farming and forestry; keeping Maine families working their heritage and making it possible for their children to do the same.
- We provide leadership by convening a broad range of voices in meaningful conversations on how to arrive at common-sense solutions as united Mainers.
Our goal is to ensure that future generations can prosper and choose to call Maine home.
10 PrinciplesOf Smart Growth
2. Take advantage of compact building design
3. Create a range of housing opportunities and choices
4. Create walkable neighborhoods
5. Foster distinctive, attractive communities with a strong sense of place
6. Preserve open space, farmland, natural beauty, and critical environmental areas
7. Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities
8. Provide a variety of transportation choices
9. Make development decisions predictable, fair, and cost effective
10. Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration in development decisions